Sunday, July 15, 2007

Chilling in Pardilho

PreScript: I want to apologize for the evident delays in my posts, which are always at least 1 week behind. I'm trying my best to write about all the different stages in my travel, but either my trip goes faster than my writing, or my resources are very limited, or both... but I'm trying to catch up. What I'm writing now is a small fraction of what I would like to say, but at least is something.
Here is a fraction of what I wanted to say 2 weeks ago.


As said in my last post, this was the perfect break after a few fast-paced weeks.

Going by bike for 40 mins to the nearest internet connection center, because it's not only far, but there is also no public transportation to speak of; smelling the aroma left by the farm animals; watching the cornfields between houses; hearing the overwhelming silence and slowing down the time until it's no more. A new and interesting experience for my city-self. Pardilho is definitely a little town; and rural in a small, self-sufficient, scale.

I broke my break a couple of days during the week to visit Aveiro and Coimbra, which are very different from each other but have their own unique character.

Aveiro is a very nice and relaxed city which has all the feeling of summer city, with the beach next to it and all. It's apparently the city with the best quality of life in Portugal, and it shows.

Coimbra is a city defined by its University, which literally takes a major part of the urban area and merges with it in a very natural way. It's almost like the University is the city. I went in the middle of the summer holidays so I'm sure I missed a lot of the life that the academical year brings.

In the weekend we went camping to Torreira, which has a very nice beach, at least for European standards, but with a completely different experience from a Venezuelan beach. People here go just to relax, not in the Caribbean sense of the word, but in a more calm way. It's interesting to see so many people on the beach, and still be very quiet and peaceful. I think the beach is the place where the difference between our cultures is more evident.

Specially memorable was the saturday night when Cristiano and friends came to Torreira to have dinner with Natercia and me. We ate and drink in obscene quantities in a great sea-food restaurant with delicious food and payed a miserable amount of money. After that we went to party to one of the places on the coast and it was perfect. One of those moments when you confirm that is not about the place where you are but about the people you are with.

Anyway, I had a great week staying with Natercia. I want to thank her and her family for everything they did to make me feel at home. Muito obrigado!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey basilio!

Happy that you enjoyed your time at my home place.
Now, I just want to correct of few things you said in your post...

First, the internet conection I indicated you was the nearest FREE internet conection.

Second, what you call "far" is only 5 kilometers (which is really nothing) and sorry but it never took me 40 minuts to get there!Are you sure you know how to ride a bike??? Jajajajajaja.

Fird, sorry but there is public transportation: at 8am, 9am, 12pm, 6pm (Of course we are speaking about a small town in the summer... it is normal that you don't find the public transportation of a city). And by the way I think you forgot to say that you were too lasy to wake up before 2 or 3pm! Jajajaja!

Fianlly, yes we had a wonderfull time with Cristiano's friends and with my friends. The nice thing is that both groups of friends liked each others very much! Cris´ friends are planning to come more often to visit us! Nice to see that friendships are growing!

And yes we payed a "miserable amount of money" because one of my friends knows very well the owner and bargained the price! It made me remember 603 time!!! jajaja!

basilio said...

jaja... Thanks for the corrections! Of course what I write here is only my impressions of things, maybe sometimes a little exaggerated for dramatic effect (after all, I come from the land of soap operas), but always trying to be fair with the places and people.
By the way, I didn't write any of those things as negative, but as new for me.
Anyway, anybody who has another version of my recollections and impressions is more than welcome to write a comment in this blog as you did. It's interesting to see the differences

Gatolobohombre Quenoexiste said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ashfaque said...

reminds me of my time in pardilho and aveiro (which was brilliant, i'll never forget that night at the beach!). i hope natercia and cristiano's friends made basilio "drink till the end".

reading your blog makes me wish i could take a real extended holiday. soon...